[OBVIOUS]It’s been a long time since I’ve made a post[/OBVIOUS] But I do have something of note that I should point out. You all know that I show the good, the bad and the ugly on my blog. This is the best way I’ve found that can document progress for myself and teach others in the process.
I’ve been working on making a batch of pressing bucks, and I learned something valuable. Don’t use pine. Too soft of a wood, too much stress for the weight, and I could only imagine what might’ve happened once I sold this piece to the customer it was intended for. I want things to last for years, and this didn’t even last throughout the making process.
I hope it’s plain to see what happened. My friend was pressing down on the piece while I was driving nails into the pedestal to tack down the cover, and the wood was too soft, so a crack formed right through a weak point, causing the fibers to snap the base right in half. On my first buck I used poplar and had no problems, so that’s what I’m going to switch back to. So yeah, quick note amidst my horribly busy mundane work schedule. The good news is, I’ve been catching up on a lot of debts I have to people, and being out of debt is the best thing for the future as I catch up and re-stabilize myself. It’s just taking a lot of time.
t’s been a while since I’ve updated, and for good reason. I’m working my veritable butt off. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this until now (because once again, I’ve been busy!) but the Brass & Mortar headquarters has successfully moved into a more suitable location! The officials at The Riverside Artist Lofts were kind enough to allow access to become one of its inhabitants. This means that we now have 1220 ample square feet to work, play, eat and sleep, with plenty of natural lighting and consistent dry ventilation!
At the moment, the place looks a bit deranged what with all the construction going on. Tables are being acquired and refinished, retrofitted to capably handle the weight of humans, etc. As mentioned before, Lola, our new stitching associate will be helping with some of the machine work. Figuring out where the placement of all these necessary items would normally be a chore, however, my associates and I have devised a preliminary working schematic of how new workshop will be arranged. This was actually made in advance to give the selection committee a good idea of what the space would be used for.
As you can see, there’s a tremendous amount of work ahead of us! Things have already started to shift from the original plan, but that’s only to be expected. Once the various pieces of furniture and tools are acquired and made, the floor-plan will change along with it, to be sure! The majority of time is currently concentrated on the generation of needed funds to fulfill the extensive wishlist! This is both unfortunate but necessary, as it means much time is being taken away from progress of actual garments, however it’s direly required for the future of the workshop.
Starting up the stream for the first time in almost a year! Almost forgot my username for UStream.. Wow. o_o;
She’s a 1950 Singer 201–2 model sewing machine (Serial # AJ-450.417) that I just purchased from a nice family at a local yard sale!Read More»
After a stunning eight months of downtime, I’m proud to announce that the Brass & Mortar site is back up! There will definitely be some clean-up involved in this transition to a new host, but once everything is resolved, there will be some major updates to inform you about regarding the business, the workshop, and more!